Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Ode to Biodiesel - A Farmer Saves The Day

Ode To Biodiesel
A Farmer Saves The Day

By Mark Allen

I was headed across the country
Driving through farming land
When my car sputtered to a stop
With no one around to lend a hand

I tried to start my engine again
But only heard that familiar sound
And I looked up and down the highway
But, no gas stations could be found

Just then a tractor pulled up
And off jumped a farmer to save my day
He asked if I'd had car trouble
Or if I'd lost my way

I informed him of my plight
And to his judgment I did yield
As he hooked up a chain to my car
And towed me across his field

I said to him "nice farm"
He replied, "Thanks, I got it at an auction"
"Have any spare diesel?" I then inquired
He said he makes his own concoction

I followed him to his barn
Not sure yet of what I'd find
I thought this supposed diesel-making farmer
Had surely lost his mind

He gave me a brief run-through
About how the corn he raises turns to oil
And with this machine he manufactures
Diesel that grows from his own soil

I stood there in amazement
I stood there dazed with shock
Then my brain, it started to think
And my mouth, it began to talk

I told him I thought he was a genius
And that his machine defied explanation
How people would come from miles around
To make their own fuel from vegetation

I told him we'd be rich
How rich I didn't mention
But I told him we should market
His home fuel making invention

The farmer squinted his eyes and looked at me
And leaned on an old oil drum
He scratched his chin and then he said
"Boy, are you just dumb?"

He informed me that "it's nothing new"
"After all, Lotsa people are doin' it"
He even told me of a place I could order
My own fuel processing unit

He claimed it wasn't that hard to make
And it'd been around for ages
He said cars and trucks had long used it
In all their various stages

He explained to me how it was produced
And how current fuel trucks were already designed to haul it
He explained everything up to that point
Everything, except what did he call it?

"Biodiesel", he said to me
At first, I thought he might be teasing
"My whole farm, it runs on it �
And the smells so gosh-darned pleasing"

Well, I learned a lot of info that day
I learned I could make it or just buy it
He even filled up my tank complimentary
So I could go ahead and try it

Well, I drove away and fell in love
And bought more in every state
You too should give it a try
He was right, it smells just great

Soon gasoline may be obsolete
Kind of like the mule
But, I'll be thankful I ran out of gas
Near that farmer who made his own fuel

1 comment:

BM Afreen said...

Looking for a limo service in toronto ,then look no more ,exceptional limousines are the limousines of choice for any event.Birthday,party,airport transportaion.